Interbreeding of Neanderthals & Modern humans

HJJACOBSON at AOL.COM HJJACOBSON at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 20 11:05:25 CDT 2004

In a message dated 10/20/2004 8:01:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
releech at TELUSPLANET.NET writes:

> We have to be very careful about the concusions drawn from the observation
> that 2 species of Homo have the same pest species, in this case Pediculus
> humanus.
>
> Either our assessment of what represents two Homo species is incorrect, or,
> we have to assume that Homo species evolve faster than has Pediculus
> humanus, thus giving the apparent result that 2 species of Homo have the
> same pest species.  ONE inference that can be drawn is that the 2 host Homo
> species interbred.  However, it may not be the correct  inference.
>
> That two species of mammal - or at least what competent mammalogists have
> declared to be two species of mammals - have identical external parasites is
> already known.  The two N. Am. pika species, Ochotona collaris and Ochotona
> princeps, for example, have distributions that do not overlap.  However, the
> flea
> species on each of the pikas is identical.  If brought together, I am sure
> that there
> could be interbreeding between the two pika species, but, as they have
> different
> distributions (one north, one south, of the Peace River Divide), they do
> not.
>
> I offer a reason for the parasites to NOT evolve at the same rates as their
> hosts.
> The habitat and environment on the host remains essentially the same: warm
> and
> furry.  As the habitat and environment of the hosts change, so do the hosts
> evolve.
>
> Robin Leech

Thanks for the comments. Frankly, I have no dog in this fight, just passed it
along, but was interested in your observations.

Herb