Interbreeding of Neanderthals & Modern humans

Don.Colless at CSIRO.AU Don.Colless at CSIRO.AU
Thu Oct 21 13:44:19 CDT 2004

Should it one day be accepted that H. neanderthalensis is a subspecies, and not specifically distinct from H. sapiens, an interesting point of nomenclature arises. H. sapiens is technically a nomen nudum; so H. neanderthalenis is the next available name (it has, I believe, a type specimen or material that could supply one formally). So, how would we feel being described as "neanderthals"? It could, of course, be claimed that "sapiens" is wildly optimistic, anyway!

Don Colless,
Div of Entomology, CSIRO,
GPO Box 1700,
Canberra. 2601.
Email: don.colless at csiro.au
Tuz li munz est miens envirun

Subject:             Re: Interbreeding of Neanderthals & Modern humans
Ken,
If I recall I saw a programme within the last year or so which included
reference to a fossil skeleton found in Portugal (?) which seemed to
suggest a combination of features from Neanderthals and the invading modern
human population - from which the suggestion was made that they may have
been able to interbreed. Perhaps someone on the list has more details.
Brian

        *
*