Interbreeding of Neanderthals & Modern humans

B.J.Tindall bti at DSMZ.DE
Thu Oct 21 09:00:28 CDT 2004

If I recall correctly the human genome project used DNA from Craig Venter,
perhaps the solution would be to use him as the neotype ;-)
Brian

At 09:16 21.10.2004 +0200, Pape, Thomas wrote:
>> .... it is only in the current edition of the code that designation
>> of a holotype is a mandatory prerequisite for validity.
>
>This is not correct.
>
>The issue was discussed during preparation of the Code, and this may be
why this misconception has become widespread. Article 72.3 of the current
edition is very explicit:

>"Name-bearing types must be fixed originally for nominal species-group
taxa established after 1999". As is further explained in this Article, a
name-bearing type will in this connection be either a holotype or a number
of syntypes.

>Thomas Pape
>Zoological Museum, University of Copenhagen

* Dr.B.J.Tindall      E-MAIL bti at dsmz.de                           *
* DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH *
* Mascheroder Weg 1b, D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany                *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 0 (general)                                    *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 224 (direct)                                   *
* Fax:  ++ 531 2616 418                                            *
* Homepage: http://www.dsmz.de/index.html                          *
* E-MAIL: contact at dsmz.de (general enquiries)                      *
*         sales at dsmz.de (sales)                                    *