Class Malacosporea

Ken Kinman kinman2 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 14 23:40:28 CDT 2004

Dear All,
     Perhaps I should first concentrate on the validity of the taxon (Family) Saccosporidae (which IS under the jurisdiction of the ICZN).   Saccosporidae was named in 1996 (by Canning et al.) for genus Tetracapsula.  Is a family name that is not nominally based on its type genus automatically invalidated?  There is no generic name Saccospora (or Saccosporum or Saccosporus) that I am aware of.  It seems to be a family name based on descriptive features, not a generic name.

     If Saccosporidae is not valid, then would it not make sense to group the two named species of Class Malacosporea within Order Buddenbrockiida (with at least one family Buddenbrockiidae)?
          ------- Cheers,
                        Ken