The meaning of "B.C.E."?

Steve Manning sdmanning at ASUB.EDU
Tue Apr 19 12:07:37 CDT 2005

At 08:57 AM 4/19/2005 -0600, Alec McClay wrote:
>Actually BP is mostly used in the context of C14 dating, and "present" is
>defined as being 1950 (see http://www.answers.com/topic/radiocarbon-dating.
>So 5000 BCE = 6950 BP.

(Excluding British Petroleum's abbreviaton).  But BP (as well as the
Petroleum) is also used in the context of much longer time frames,
involving MYBP.  We can safely round off to approximations when we go back
that far, however (?)

>At 11:00 PM 05.04.18, you wrote:
>>Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:26:48 -0500
>>From: "Thomas G. Lammers" <lammers at UWOSH.EDU>
>>Subject: Re: The meaning of "B.C.E."?
>>
>>Bear in mind, however that 5000 BCE / 5000 BC = 7005 BP ... until next
>>year.  One set of terms is for "calendar" year, the other for elapsed time.

Dr. Steve Manning
Arkansas State University--Beebe
Mathematics and Science
Professor of Biology