Names for BioDiv Informatics

Tue Feb 1 09:55:50 CST 2005

I don't at all disagree with David's comments -- in fact, I agree with them
wholeheartedly. My earlier remarks were in a more specific context
(priorities for practicing taxonomists; not necessarily for biologists in
general or the world at large).  In fact, the more I've been thinking about
it lately, the more I believe that the optimal path to a utopian master list
of code-compliant names is via an "all names" project of the sort David
describes.  Before you can have a list of Code-compliant names, you first
need an extensive list of candidate text-strings.  With that, tools can be
built to allow the international taxonomic community to collectively
value-add to the larger list of names to "fortify" them with the information
necessary to determine code compliance.

I think the real key is to make this a community effort -- accross the
entire taxonomic/biological community.  If done well. the gathering effort
need not wait for the vetting process to be complete, nor woulf the vetting
process need to wait for the gathering to be complete.  Both can grow in
tandem, benefiting from the progress made in the other.

Aloha,
Rich