Biodiversity: Science and Govenance conference in Paris, January 24 -28

Marta C. Lourenco MCLourenco at FC.UL.PT
Wed Feb 2 08:52:03 CST 2005

Dear list,

I am not a biologist. I subscribe Taxacom because I am doing a research on
university museums and collections in Europe and regularly the topic of
collections comes up in this list.
A significant number of European university collections - of natural history
but not only - are under threat. It is a silent threat, not much discussed
unlike recent threats/closures in the US. It seems to me that in the US
neglect, lack of funding or interest, shift in research policies are more
known and openly discussed.
In any case, and although there are recent encouraging signs of hope, we
still have a big problem in my view.

I am surprised that in such a high profile Declaration on Biodiversity there
is not one single reference to collections or museums, botanical gardens or
herbaria.
Why is it? I am genuinely interested in hearing your views about this.

If you prefer, please feel free to reply off list.

Best wishes,

Marta

Marta C Lourenco
Museum of Science