Biodiversity: Science and Govenance conference in Paris, January 24 -28

James Edwards jedwards at GBIF.ORG
Wed Feb 2 17:48:51 CST 2005

Dear Marta -

There were actually two different statements released at the conference in
Paris. The one quoted in Donat Agosti's message was the statement from the
Steering Committee for the conference, and it was meant to build upon the
"Appeal" from the Scientific Committee for the conference. You can find the
full Appeal at

http://www.recherche.gouv.fr/biodiv2005paris/en/appelparisbiodiv.htm

However, even the Appeal does not mention museums, botanical gardens, etc.
Several of us who were at the meeting tried very hard to insert references
to such institutions into the Appeal, but were unsuccessful.

The Appeal does state that "Strong actions must be taken now to inventory,
understand and protect biodiversity" and that "A major effort must be made
to build the capacity, especially in developing countries, to undertake
biodiversity research and implement biodiversity protection". To my mind,
these statements certainly imply the need for institutions such as museums,
herbaria, etc. to house the collections that document the inventories, but
it would have been much better to explicitly make that connection.

Since I was not on the Scientific Committee, I don't know why it did not
mention the institutional infrastructure needed to monitor and understand
biodiversity. I can only surmise that there were lots of requests to include
references to all kinds of institutions and programmes, and that the
Committee decided not to include any of these. For example, many of the
Steering Committee members are also involved in Diversitas, the
international biodiversity research programme, and Diversitas is not
mentioned in the Appeal.

Best wishes,

          - Jim

Dr. James L. Edwards
Executive Secretary
Global Biodiversity Information Facility
Universitetsparken 15
DK-2100 Copenhagen Ø
DENMARK

Phone:  +45 3532 1470