Silphidae on Tree of Life

John Grehan jgrehan at SCIENCEBUFF.ORG
Wed Feb 9 12:30:40 CST 2005

At a glance, the web layout looks very nice. I note that there are
intentions to add material so is it possible to include distribution
maps - even if they are simple range maps? Please! As a biogeographer I
can make the best use of systematic works that illustrate the
distributions. The current form of listing according to artificial
geographic divisions provides no real information for comparative
evaluation although even at this level it was interesting to see an
Australia-Holarctic track for one clade
(Diamesus/Australia-Necrodes/Holarctic) and an Australia-South America
(only "western")track for another (Ptomaphila/Australia-Oxelytrum
(southwestern Nearctic and Neotropical).

I anticipate that I am probably among a very tiny minority that believes
systematic research needs to give a commensurate amount of attention to
distributional data compared with the resources devoted to morphology or
DNA sequence similarity. The geographic information usually comes out
second best because most systematists are either not interested in
geographic distribution, or not interested all that much.

John Grehan