Silphidae on Tree of Life

Ken Kinman kinman2 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 9 17:28:24 CST 2005

Hi Derek,
     Nice addition to the Tree of Life!!  But I am wondering if you like the huge overly-inflated Family Staphylinidae has become in recent years?  It seems to me that keeping a separate Family Pselaphidae (which the Tree of Life labels the "Omaliinae group") would be preferable.  Not only because Staphylinidae has become so large, but also it would reduce the risk of Staphylinidae being paraphyletic with respect to other families (such as Silphidae).  If such paraphyly were to be demonstrated, would there be a tendency to split the Pselaphidae back off, or to dump Silphidae or other families into an even larger Staphylinidae?
   ---Thanks,
            Ken Kinman