Imaging system

Fabio Moretzsohn fabio at FALCON.TAMUCC.EDU
Thu Feb 10 15:42:46 CST 2005

We have an Olympus system that is a few years old but takes great photos of
micromollusks through a dissecting scope. The camera is an Olympus DP-11 (2
megapixels), and now we are thinking about upgrading it to the latest model,
a DP-70 (12.5 MP), which costs some $7,000, I think. The new camera has not
only better resolution, but lots of new features, and is suitable for  low
light fluorescence. It comes with a good image acquisition software, and the
camera is tethered to a computer, thus eliminating flash media, like the one
we use right now (can only take a few pictures at highest resolution at a
time). Olympus has a wide range of equipment that can be used with these
cameras, including dissecting, compound or inverted microscopes, and a
variety of lenses. I think this camera can also be used with other equipment
to take pictures of larger specimens. We use the camera with a good
dissecting microscope, Olympus SZX12; the system we have (with an old
camera), with several lenses, filters and lights probably costs about
$20,000.

I also use a Nikon CoolPix 5400 (5 MP) attached to the same scope using a
coupler, and it takes good pictures, but the old Olympus camera takes better
photos, despite the lower resolution. This is because the Olympus camera was
designed to be used with a scope, and has better optics and control over
light, exposure, etc., than using a regular digital camera with an adapter.

We like the quality of this Olympus system. I encourage you to check their
website and ask for a demonstration from a vendor in your area.

My two cents.
Fabio

Fabio Moretzsohn, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate