Silphidae on Tree of Life

Steve Manning sdmanning at ASUB.EDU
Thu Feb 10 17:14:00 CST 2005

Derek,

I was surprised by the latter part of this.  Are you saying that the
samples taken for molecular phylogenies are not from specimens identified
as to geographic location from which the specimen was taken?  Presumably
the alpha taxonomy could have been done in the past rather than along with
the sampling (?)  I would hope that molecular phylogenies are based on a
reasonably thorough sampling of the variation, including geographic
localities, within each taxon(?)

In other words I guess what I am really trying to say is that alpha
taxonomy results in geographic distribution information only after the
info. is gathered and the classification is made, and I don't see why
molecular phylogenies should be fundamentally different in this regard.  In
either case, incomplete geographic info. seems better than none at all,
assuming it is relatively easy to upgrade as new info. is brought to your
attention.

Are molecular phylogenies accepted for publication in the absence of
reference to voucher specimens, including localities, from which the
molecules are extracted?

Steve

Dr. Steve Manning
Arkansas State University--Beebe