NOT-inflated Family Staphylinidae

chapterandverse chapterandverse at IWAY.NA
Sun Feb 13 00:53:34 CST 2005

Dear John,

I feel sure I speak for others, when I write that I did not subscribe to
TAXACOM in order to read what amounts to an emotionally-charged private
correspondence between two individuals scientists, which should be kept
between themselves.

Your messages should have long since been mailed to one another privately,
but I suspect that once you had both got a firm grip, neither of you were
prepared to let go, and both wished that your captive audience should not
see that one or the other of you were backing down.

I do not think your last correspondent intended to restrict the scope of
TAXACOM, just to re-direct it onto its right a proper course.

Yours Sincerely

Ashley H. Kirk-Spriggs

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Grehan" <jgrehan at SCIENCEBUFF.ORG>
To: <TAXACOM at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2005 7:15 PM
Subject: Re: [TAXACOM] NOT-inflated Family Staphylinidae

When I occassionaly see requests like this I wonder what is the nature of
the individual to want to restrict the scope or range of a discussion
group - especially when they may not be contribuitng much if at all. It
seems to me that list disucssion is determiend by who choses to participate.
Science has that peverse quality of roaming beyond the boundaries of any one
individual or group. There is always the delete button (it really works and
its fast). If that's too much trouble then perhaps a list is not really
meeting one's needs. TAXACOM seems to be very effective as a list in
providing a range of inputs encompasing contributions on technical, applied,
and theoretical issues, and usually with considrable knowledgeable input.

John Grehan