Predictivity & Tetrapoda nightmare

Curtis Clark jcclark-lists at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Feb 13 10:12:45 CST 2005

on 2005-02-13 09:51 Ken Kinman wrote:
> Okay Curtis, You want to bring up the herpetological mess again,
> fine.  Predict for me whether the Tree of Life classifies
> Acanthostega, Ichthyostega, Seymouria, temnospondyls, etc. as
> Tetrapoda.

I predict that they are not amniotes.

> Turtles are likely to be Diapsida that have
> lost the diapsid condition (predictivity has been almost worthless
> trying to place them).

Wouldn't it be nice to actually know, rather than classify (either
monophyletically or paraphyletically) based on our ignorance?

And you didn't address my contention that since Reptilia offers nothing
beyond the information contained in its defining clades, it is superfluous.

Web Coordinator, Cal Poly Pomona                 +1 909 979 6371
Professor, Biological Sciences                   +1 909 869 4062