Taxonomic Concepts in the news

B.J.Tindall bti at DSMZ.DE
Wed Feb 16 17:00:39 CST 2005

Ah they mean the prokaryotic part of the chimera ;-)
Brian

At 10:52 16.2.2005 -0600, Ken Kinman wrote:
>Dear All,
>       Well, the good news is that this population still has another year
of protection.  The conclusion that this population is not distinct was
based on mitochondrial DNA sequences, but they are now doing nuclear DNA
studies that will hopefully be more accurate (keep your fingers crossed).
I'm afraid that's all the good news, but at least it's better than ALL bad
news.

>      The bad news is that the state governments of Wyoming and Colorado
really want this subspecies off the list, and having a Bush administration
in Washington certainly hasn't hurt their chances of doing it.  That they
call it a 9-inch mouse (instead of a 3-inch mouse with six-inch tail) looks
like an attempt to make the mouse less cute (like it's the size of a rat or
something).  It is the "spotted-owl" of this ecosystem, and the real goal
is to save habitat for a lot of other species as well (not to mention clean
water and other environmental issues).

>      If this population is no longer protected, watch for the mining
industry, oil and gas drillers, and land developers to swoop in.  Would
probably also make it easier for mega-ranching operations to pollute
waterways (oh, how about putting in some of those mega-hog "farms", like we
have in southwest Kansas).  Almost half of the protected habitat for this
mouse was trimmed off in 2003, and now big business wants access to the
rest of it.  Anyway, if you would like to read more about the broad
implications of this political battle, here is a good place to start:

>http://www.nativeecosystems.org/preblesmouse

* Dr.B.J.Tindall      E-MAIL bti at dsmz.de                           *
* DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH *
* Mascheroder Weg 1b, D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany                *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 0 (general)                                    *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 224 (direct)                                   *
* Fax:  ++ 531 2616 418                                            *
* Homepage: http://www.dsmz.de/index.html                          *
* E-MAIL: contact at dsmz.de (general enquiries)                      *
*         sales at dsmz.de (sales)                                    *