Predictivity vs Useful

Richard.Zander at MOBOT.ORG Richard.Zander at MOBOT.ORG
Thu Feb 17 08:21:41 CST 2005

One must be wary of ascribing consilience to morphological traits that are
discovered to happen to agree with molecular data when there exist possibly
equal numbers of traits that do not agree (conformance rationalization) and
support other arrangements. Jinking from one set of traits to another is
okay if one set can be discounted in some way (e.g. statistically).
Otherwise, the contrary sets remain to annoy.

______________________
Richard H. Zander
Bryology Group, Missouri Botanical Garden
PO Box 299, St. Louis, MO 63166-0299 USA
richard.zander at mobot.org <mailto:richard.zander at mobot.org>
Voice: 314-577-5180;  Fax: 314-577-9595
Websites
Bryophyte Volumes of Flora of North America:
Res Botanica:
http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/index.htm
Shipping address for UPS, etc.:
Missouri Botanical Garden