Taxonomic Concepts in the News; Jumping Mouse; Barcoding

Scott Lyell Gardner slg at UNL.EDU
Tue Feb 22 20:21:06 CST 2005

One thing that could be done would be to better understand the kinds of
parasites and endosymbionts (nematodes, acanthocephalans, cestodes,
protistans, viruses, arthropods, and spirochaetes) that these mice share
or do not share with other species in their habitats or geographic
ranges.  Who has done the real work and preserved well, all the data
when these mice were collected and studied in the first place?  Where
are the data that can be brought to bear on questions such as these?
Most people simply throw it away.  Poor collecting due to ignorance,
sloth, or taxonomic arrogance results in poor conservation decisions in
the long run.

Scott Gardner

--
+-< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< ><><><><><><><><-+

Scott Lyell Gardner, Ph.D.
Director, Harold W. Manter Laboratory of Parasitology
W-529 Nebraska Hall
University of Nebraska - Lincoln
Lincoln, Nebraska 68588-0514

e-mail:   slg at unl.edu