vermiform maggots

Ken Kinman kinman2 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 23 21:05:35 CST 2005

Dear All,
      Just to show that I am not all gloom and doom, I was watching the Today Show this morning and learned that New York sanitation workers refer to maggots as "disco rice".  What an amusing and colorful characterization.  "Dancing" fly larvae that were once considered Vermes.  Of course, many other life forms go through such a wriggly phase during development, like "disco rice".  Really a shame that Linnaeus didn't have a really good microscope at his disposal.  Still he did a remarkable job considering the technology of the day.
   ---Ken