Vernacular concepts

David Remsen dremsen at MBL.EDU
Fri Feb 25 17:55:26 CST 2005

Papio is also a genus of baboon!

>> On the other hand this definition would
>> also include ad-hoc usages including things like ITIS Taxonomic serial
>> numbers.
>
> Hmmmm....interesting concept -- treating database unique identifiers as
> vernacular "names".  I have a queasy feeling that it might be safer to
> consider ID's as a separate catagory of "name", in the same way that
> scientific and vernacular names each represent a different catagory of
> "name".

I agree with this too.  I have heard of these ad-hoc usages being
accounted for by some folks (we try to) but treated as a different
differently than vernacular names.

At the AToL meeting though I spoke to people who referred to odd
name/number forms that end up being used as a nomenclatural currency.
Not quite names, not quite numbers.  I am going to try to find some
examples.