Vernacular concepts

E. Parmasto e.parmasto at ZBI.EE
Sat Feb 26 16:31:27 CST 2005

In Estonia, there are lists of _accepted_ common
(vernacular) names of plants compiled (and
sometimes changed) by a special Committee since
1918. These names are in use in all key books,
available in web databases, in use in school and
university textbooks and by translators of literary
texts. The list of "official vernacular names" is in no
way equivalent of cultural genocide: 25,342
vernacular names of indigenous and introduced
species have been collected since 1660, available in
G. Vilbaste's book (1993) and in a database
distributed on a floppy disk.  I cannot see any
genocide in the fact that one common name
_nurmenukk_ is in "official" use for Primula veris
instead of all 216  vernacular names.
   The main question is, how the "official lists" have
been / will be compiled - is it a _subjective_ process
or a well established carefully planned by botanists
and linguists system.
Erast Parmasto