Update: Nomenclator Zoologicus

David Remsen dremsen at MBL.EDU
Mon Feb 28 12:35:18 CST 2005

Two items:  We have updated the online version of Nomenclator
Zoologicus based on comments and suggestions from users and we have
also created an editorial subsystem to ensure fidelity in the
conversion from a print to a digital record.

Editorial Subsystem:

We have deployed a PHP application for comparing the original print
record to the converted digital record.  It utilizes HTML divisions and
Javascript to allow a print record to be aligned as closely as possible
to it's matching digital record.  Each can be manipulated independently
to minimize the distance between the two for a rapid assessment of
conversion accuracy.  A moveable javascript horizontal rule can be use
as an additional reference point.  Our aim was to streamline the review
process to minimize eye movement between the two forms of the record.
Each record is either verified, correct to match the original print
version, or an optional annotation concerning the content itself can be
made.  The page automatically is scrolled to the next print record as
the next digital record is presented.  We find we can review one record
per 15 second period or 11-14 minutes per page.

Volunteer reviewers are still being sought to assist in verifying the
accuracy of the conversion.  Currently we are finding less than one
typographical error per page.  Reviewers of 100 page blocks will
receive a personal use copy on CD of the final reviewed collection.
Those who have already offered to help have been contacted.  This is a
large data collection and the primary users of these data are the
taxonomic community so assisting in this effort is (I hope) a
beneficial exercise.

Among the updates to the NZ online application:

* Mapping of 50,000+ cross-references within the NZ.  These cross
references relate orthographic and nomenclatural relationships that are
contained with the source volumes.  The methodology for deriving these
mappings is also included.

* Changes to the display of search results.  To the left of each
returned record are a set of icons.   Two provide links to the PDF or
PNG page representations.   One indicates the review status of the
record.  One indicates the presence of cross-references and one denotes
the addition of annotations.
Example:
http://uio.mbl.edu/NZ/search.php?
search=Leach+1830&colname=on&colauthority=on&colcomments=on&colcategory=
on&colpublication=on&vol=&page=

* A record detail page displays cross-reference information,
annotations, and review attribution.  A link is provided to include
additional annotations.  Annotations can be made anonymously or by
name.   Adding a name creates a profile that uses sessions so that
subsequent comments are automatically attributed.

* An updated information section provides details of the conversion,
information about the editorial subsystem and some summary displays of
some queries to the entire database.  These include:

        *  a first crack at listing all the homonyms within the NZ (22,000
sets of names - be patient with the display)  there is a lot of
unintended duplication within NZ so this list has problems.   Details
about these issues are included with the listing.

        * additional summaries of the records by author.  The author columns
were split and parsed according to some commonly-occurring patterns to
give an idea of who the top authors are.

        * summary by year.

Future directions:

* SOAP interface with LC output would probably be useful.
* incorporation into the uBio NameBank
• additional zoological genera records
• additional biological genera through NameBank
David Remsen
uBio Project Developer
Marine Biological Laboratory
Woods Hole, MA 02543