Offtopic (earthquakes again)

Ken Kinman kinman2 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 13 21:36:31 CST 2005

Dear All,
      Ever since the big earthquakes near Sumatra and Macquarie last month, I have been carefully watching for any earthquake activity between New Guinea and New Zealand.  Don't ask why, it is just one of my "feelings".  Where the Australian plate thrusts up into the Pacific plate around the region of the Fiji and Tonga Islands is particularly interesting, and the Tonga Microplate just seems very vulnerable to me (in a similar way to that of the Burma Microplate).

      Anyway, there have been a couple of small to moderate earthquakes in the Tonga region in the last few days, and I just wonder if these could perhaps be foreshocks to something bigger in that area.  If a major earthquake was to occur in this region (7.5-8.5) could there be a tsunami threat to islands in the area (Fijis, Tongas, Samoa, etc.)?  And if so, is this area part of the existing tsunami warning area for the Pacific Ocean?

     ---- Thanks,
              Ken Kinman