copyright on description

Vr.R.E.M.J..-B. BEJSAK-COLLOREDO-MANSFELD ricardo at ANS.COM.AU
Thu Jun 2 19:24:25 CDT 2005

Few days ago I have been told that even name of insect is intellectual property and therefore cannot be used without author AND publisher agreement.

Regards
Ricardo

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ken & Nette
  To: Vr.R.E.M.J..-B. BEJSAK-COLLOREDO-MANSFELD
  Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 12:42 AM
  Subject: Re: copyright on description

  Dear Richard,

  Copyrights are applied for, and if the item appears in a document that is copyright protected, it probably is. However, how many ways can a person scientifically describe a species. I would guess only one or two are generally accepted and therefor difficult to enforce. As in other copyright protections, the individual holding a copyright would be responsible for enforcing it. So, the best way to be sure is to ask the author.

  IMHO, you are probably safe if it isn't narrative. If it is, simply ask.

  Regards, Ken Sayers