two lectotypes question

Ron at Ron at
Thu Jun 2 12:00:42 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Wall" <michaelw at AUSTMUS.GOV.AU>
To: <TAXACOM at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 2:52 AM
Subject: two lectotypes question

> Taxacomers,
>
> I have nomenclatural problem on which I would like advice on how to
proceed.

> I have a species (B. foetidus) described by Signoret and Montrouzier in
> 1861.  No type specimen is indicated and locality is "Ins Woodlark".
> There is no indication in the whether the description is based on a
> single specimen or a series.
>
> Now for the troublesome bit. ----  In 1907 Schouteden infers that a
> specimen now held in Roy. Inst. of Nat. Scinces in Belgium is the 'type'
> of B. foetidus.  The Schouteden specimen has a 'type' label with no
> determiner given (I assume this is Schouteden because the label places
> it in a genus not used by Signoret and Montrouzier but to a genus which
> the species was subsequently moved).  Then, in 1915 Horvath redescribes
> the speices and comments on the 'type' which he looked at in the 'Musei
> Vindobonensis.'  The Horvath specimen in Vienna bears the label
> "foetidus det. Signoret".    Both specimens have labels that say
> "Woodlark" and no other data.

I would view both of these as potential syntypes and no more.  There is no
holotype as none was designated in the OD.  Holotypes are not to be
assumed, so any specimens (or specimen) would be a syntype.   No
lectotypification has occurred - only statements that a "type" (=syntype)
has been located.    Thus, you can designate the one of your choice
(stating why selected as lectotype and for what purpose).

Ron Gatrelle