Duplicate taxonomic names

B.J.Tindall bti at DSMZ.DE
Fri Jun 3 14:48:12 CDT 2005

That sounds familiar.
Microcyclus under the Bacteriological Code is illegitimate - a later
homonym of a fungal genus name - and has been replaced by Anyclobacter -
see John McNeill's mail.
Moorella is also a later homonym of a fungal genus name and is
illegitimate, but no-one has got around to creating a new name.
I think Rhodococcus and Catenococcus are also probably illegitimate under
the Bacteriological Code because the names are later homonyms of algal
generic names. The bacterial generic name Rhodococcus (been in use since
1891) is so well known in bacteriology that it would probably be difficult
to change it.
Brian

At 12:31 2.6.2005 -0500, Thomas G. Lammers wrote:
>At 12:19 PM 6/2/2005, Richard Jensen wrote:
>
>>As I recall, sometime during the past year there were some postings to
>>taxacom providing examples of identical botanical and zoological taxonomic
>>names.
>
>Somewhere (probably in some BioCode discussion somewhere), I came across
>the fact that the following seven generic names apply to plant, animal, AND
>microbe (all three codes):
>Catenococcus, Kingella, Microcyclus, Moorella, Morganella, Rhodococcus,
Rothia.

>Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.
>
>Assistant Professor and Curator of the Herbarium (OSH)
>Department of Biology and Microbiology
>University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
>Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA
>
>e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu
>phone:      920-424-1002
>fax:           920-424-1101
>
>Plant systematics; classification, nomenclature, evolution, and
>biogeography of the Campanulaceae s. lat.
>
>Webpages:
>http://www.uwosh.edu/departments/biology/Lammers.htm
>http://www.uwosh.edu/departments/biology/herbarium/herbarium.html
>http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Resort/7156/lammers.html
>"Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that stood his ground."
>                                                               -- Anonymous

* Dr.B.J.Tindall      E-MAIL bti at dsmz.de                           *
* Vice Chairman of the ICSP Judicial Commission                    *
* DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH *
* Mascheroder Weg 1b, D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany                *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 0 (general)                                    *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 224 (direct)                                   *
* Fax:  ++ 531 2616 418                                            *
* Homepage: http://www.dsmz.de/index.html                          *
* E-MAIL: contact at dsmz.de (general enquiries)                      *
*         sales at dsmz.de (sales)                                    *