Duplicate taxonomic names

Fri Jun 3 09:14:26 CDT 2005

Many thanks to all who replied, both on- and off-list.  I was looking for a
couple of good examples and now I have a wealth of good examples.  And, it's
clear to me that my archives search strategy was not well structured.

Cheers,

Dick

"B.J.Tindall" wrote:

> That sounds familiar.
> Microcyclus under the Bacteriological Code is illegitimate - a later
> homonym of a fungal genus name - and has been replaced by Anyclobacter -
> see John McNeill's mail.
> Moorella is also a later homonym of a fungal genus name and is
> illegitimate, but no-one has got around to creating a new name.
> I think Rhodococcus and Catenococcus are also probably illegitimate under
> the Bacteriological Code because the names are later homonyms of algal
> generic names. The bacterial generic name Rhodococcus (been in use since
> 1891) is so well known in bacteriology that it would probably be difficult
> to change it.
> Brian
>
> At 12:31 2.6.2005 -0500, Thomas G. Lammers wrote:
> >At 12:19 PM 6/2/2005, Richard Jensen wrote:
> >
> >>As I recall, sometime during the past year there were some postings to
> >>taxacom providing examples of identical botanical and zoological taxonomic
> >>names.
> >
> >Somewhere (probably in some BioCode discussion somewhere), I came across
> >the fact that the following seven generic names apply to plant, animal, AND
> >microbe (all three codes):
> >Catenococcus, Kingella, Microcyclus, Moorella, Morganella, Rhodococcus,
> Rothia.
> >

> >Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.
> >
> >Assistant Professor and Curator of the Herbarium (OSH)
> >Department of Biology and Microbiology
> >University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
> >Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA
> >
> >e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu
> >phone:      920-424-1002
> >fax:           920-424-1101
> >
> >Plant systematics; classification, nomenclature, evolution, and
> >biogeography of the Campanulaceae s. lat.
> >
> >Webpages:
> >http://www.uwosh.edu/departments/biology/Lammers.htm
> >http://www.uwosh.edu/departments/biology/herbarium/herbarium.html
> >http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Resort/7156/lammers.html
> >"Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that stood his ground."
> >                                                               -- Anonymous

> * Dr.B.J.Tindall      E-MAIL bti at dsmz.de                           *
> * Vice Chairman of the ICSP Judicial Commission                    *
> * DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH *
> * Mascheroder Weg 1b, D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany                *
> * Tel.: ++ 531 2616 0 (general)                                    *
> * Tel.: ++ 531 2616 224 (direct)                                   *
> * Fax:  ++ 531 2616 418                                            *
> * Homepage: http://www.dsmz.de/index.html                          *
> * E-MAIL: contact at dsmz.de (general enquiries)                      *
> *         sales at dsmz.de (sales)                                    *

Richard J. Jensen              | tel: 574-284-4674
Department of Biology      | fax: 574-284-4716
Saint Mary's College         | e-mail: rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Notre Dame, IN 46556    | http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rjensen