Hymenoptera Name Server coverage

NORMAN JOHNSON johnson.2 at OSU.EDU
Sun Jun 5 11:17:44 CDT 2005

Doug Yanega wrote:

> ...the HNS lacks a great many
> synonyms of the valid names in the database,
> including one I searched for recently....

and

> ...*taxonomists* are aware that a
> failed search doesn't necessarily mean that a name
> doesn't exist (but even then they don't know just
> how much of the taxasphere has been
> omitted from the search, and this *would* be nice
> to know....

Let me respond to Doug's challenge to be "up-front" about our coverage. At the end of this message are the latest statistics on coverage in our database. The primary objective of this work is to pull together all the names of Hymenoptera that have been used in the literature and, as we go, to connect those names to citations in the literature, and to then link those citations to electronic versions of the literature (either as pdfs or, in the future, to xml texts). Along the way, we've tried to share these data with other community efforts like ITIS and uBio. This is clearly a work in progress, and always will be.

We've benefitted from the contributions by others in this process: extensive additions have been made by Jim Carpenter, Donat Agosti, and Alexandre P. Aguiar, and several people have contacted me with individual additions and corrections. I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage others to participate and help to make this as valuable a tool as possible: just drop me an e-mail! I view this as an effort done for and by the our community. An expert will clearly recognize the holes in the HNS coverage from the table below. I don't see any way of estimating what percentage of the names in the literature are represented here.

Number of names in HNS by superfamily. VG = valid genera; OG = other genus-group names; VS = valid species-group names (binomens, trinomens); OS = other species-group names.

Superfamily: VG, OG, VS, OS
Xyeloidea: 41, 19, 106, 0
Megalodontoidea: 24, 18, 27, 0
Cephoidea: 27, 28, 14, 0
Siricoidea: 64, 27, 192, 0
Tenthredinoidea: 507, 341, 699, 42
Orrusoidea: 23, 3, 21, 12
Stephanoidea: 10, 5, 294, 366
Trigonalyoidea: 17, 10, 91, 51
Megalyroidea: 11, 0, 31, 15
Ceraphronoidea: 32, 53, 612, 1318
Evanioidea: 36, 0, 746, 0
Ichneumonoidea: 2231, 1516, 33290, 48
Proctotrupoidea: 271, 180, 2518, 4285
Platygastroidea: 242, 274, 4499, 4706
Cynipoidea: 16, 2, 96, 51
Chalcidoidea: 2036, 611, 21116, 2306
Chrysidoidea: 244, 232, 5098, 25
Vespoidea: 958, 706, 21363, 15993
Sphecoidea: 231, 23, 7664, 6
Apoidea: 447, 2767, 12902, 14202

Total genus-group names = 14288
Total species-group names = 154809

Norman Johnson
Professor
Director, C.A. Triplehorn Insect Collection
P: 614 292 6595  F: 614 292 7774