Opposite of teneral?

Tony Irwin tony.irwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Mon Jun 6 08:26:45 CDT 2005

Tony Irwin

-----Original Message-----
From: Taxacom Discussion List [mailto:TAXACOM at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU]On
Behalf Of Robin Leech
Sent: 05 June 2005 16:33
To: TAXACOM at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU
Subject: Opposite of teneral?

Hi Taxacomer,

Does anyone know a single-word term for the opposite
of TENERAL?
Would it be SLEROTIZED or SCLEROTIC?
When an organism, or part of it, becomes darker after
having been creamy white, does that mean that the organism,
or part of it, is now slerotized?
Please see below.

I am reviewing a manuscript, and the authors have written:

"Simple eyes eventually become brown."

It is a lampyrid pupa under discussion, and shown are two
views of the pupa.  The pupa remains creamy white, but
acc. to the authors, the ocelli turn brown.

Perhaps more discussion is needed.  For example,
"Ocelli brown, pupa creamy white."

Perhaps it should read, "Ocelli pigmented, pupa
creamy white."

Any help or suggestions from anyone?

Robin Leech