name server coverage

Norman F. Johnson johnson.2 at OSU.EDU
Mon Jun 6 15:59:58 CDT 2005

Doug Yanega wrote:

> ...why do people get
> locked into a particular interface, and never re-vamp it to make it
> work better?; *that* is and has been the core of my complaints, and
> this latest matter about issuing caveats is a small thing compared to
> that, and not one I expected to generate such steam.

This complaint is off-base, at least as far as it concerns the
Hymenoptera database I'm running. I didn't do an extensive count, but
there are at least ten interfaces into the database, only one of which
is labelled the "Hymenoptera Name Server." As you know, Doug, there's
also an XML web service to access the nomenclatural data - in a
checklist form! I haven't advertised that very widely because of the
relative paucity of XML consumers and the lack of an accepted standard
XML schema for these data (although with the Linnean Core I think that
will be resolved).

> (2) It isn't exactly easy to *report* errors to any of you folks. The
> BDWD, for example, has a "questions and comments" link on each record
> page, but that is a fairly clumsy interface for error reporting. A
> better design would have an "error correction request" button on an
> individual record's page, so that if someone spots an error, they
> click that button, and a message is composed that contains a copy of
> the data on that page (and references the URL), allowing a person to
> simply edit the appropriate portion and submit it directly, rather
> than typing out an entire message from scratch.

Ask and ye shall receive, at least in part. This is basically a good
idea, so I've just added a bug report link to the HNS output for each
taxon. However, in the name of efficiency, I believe that I'd waste a
lot of time parsing through an e-mail message trying to find what the
sender had changed in the data presented (if anything at all!). So
please, if you find something wrong, incomplete, etc., just add a short
message and, of course, your e-mail address. If there's something I
can't understand, I'll follow up with you. I don't pretend that this is
a perfect solution, so constructive criticism is welcome.

Norm

--
Norman F. Johnson
Professor, Department of Entomology