request: distribution data of Ficus in Africa

Daniel Kissling kissling at UNI-MAINZ.DE
Wed Jun 15 10:52:19 CDT 2005

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am an ecologist and currently starting my PhD supervised by Prof.
Boehning-Gaese at the Institute of Zoology, University of Mainz,
Germany. My thesis is concerned with the macroecology of frugivore
richness in Africa, and in this project we collaborate with Prof.
Carsten Rahbek (Zoological Museum University Copenhagen) and with the
Biomaps group of Prof. Barthlott (NEES-Institute for Biodiversity of
Plants, University of Bonn).

One of my objectives for the thesis is to link diversity patterns of
frugivores with diversity patterns of Ficus because we hypothesise that
Ficus as a keystone resource could have a disproportionately large effect on
frugivore diversity. In this context I am searching for African Ficus
distribution records from herbaria, databases and/or other sources to be
able to estimate Ficus diversity on a large, continental scale. Because our
analysis will be relatively coarse it would be sufficient to get
distribution records at the 1° scale (e.g. 9.5 Longitude, 4.4 Latitude) but
more detailed records would be, of course, welcome. I would thus like to
enquire whether you have any Ficus distribution records from Africa, or
whether you know anybody who could provide them. Please contact me if you
have any information which could be helpful for our study (contact details
listed below). I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

Daniel Kissling

W. Daniel Kissling
Community & Macroecology Research Group
Institut für Zoologie, Abteilung Ökologie
Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
D-55099 Mainz, Germany

Tel. +49 (0)6131 3925200; Fax +49 (0)6131 3923731
e-mail: kissling at uni-mainz.de
web: www.oekologie.biologie.uni-mainz.de