Curtis Clark's 15 minutes of fame ;-)

Doug Yanega dyanega at UCR.EDU
Mon May 16 09:44:47 CDT 2005

So, am I the only one here who saw fellow listmember Curtis Clark on
the Discover Channel this weekend (a show called "Alien Planet" about
a fictitious robotic expedition to a distant earth-like world with
organic liifeforms)? I'm one of the few people in existence who owns
a copy of the 1990 book the program was based on, as well (it wasn't
exactly a best seller) - the only reason I tuned in, actually. My
only gripe: none of the scientists interviewed expressed how utterly
improbable it is that a world with organic life would have no
evolutionary equivalents of insects, arachnids, or other
macroinvertebrates - just plants, microbes, and vertebrates
(virtually all of the latter either herbivorous or predatory on other
vertebrates). Pretty odd, no?

Anyway, good job, Curtis!

Univ. of California - Riverside, Riverside, CA 92521-0314