19th century date system

Margaret K. Thayer mthayer at FIELDMUSEUM.ORG
Fri Sep 9 17:35:29 CDT 2005

Hearty thanks to Neal Evenhuis and Ronnie Viane, both of whom
clarified the mysterious abbreviations as being Dutch (which I had
suspected but lacked resources to check) and indeed referring to the
fourth trimester and second semester of the respective years.

I figured TAXACOM would be a good place to send this inquiry, but
didn't expect two answers in less than a couple of hours -- what a resource!

Margaret

At 10:59 AM 9-09-05 -1000, Neal Evenhuis wrote:

>Kannegieter was Dutch, so did not necessarily conform to the German
>way of abbreviating -- so 4 de is "vierde" and 2.de is "tweede". You
>might find out more of his collecting in Sumatra either in his
>published works or some other work detailing his travels. His
>initials are also transcribed as J.Z. Kannegieter.
>
>--Neal

and

Margaret K. Thayer, Ph.D.               mthayer at fieldmuseum.org
Associate Curator, Zoology -- Insects   FMNH personal web
page:   http://tinyurl.com/4g4zz
Field Museum of Natural History          FMNH:  http://www.fieldmuseum.org
1400 South Lake Shore Drive               Beetle Tree of Life
project: http://beetletree.org/
Chicago IL 60605-2496, USA
PHONE: +1-312-665-7741 (direct-dial)
FAX: +1-312-665-7754
Austral Staphylinidae project, including Staphyliniformia databases:
         http://www.fieldmuseum.org/peet_staph/