Botany in Romeo and Juliet

Mon Sep 12 08:36:11 CDT 2005

Let's try Nerium oleander.  It produces very toxic cardiac glycosides and, in
at least some cultivated forms, can be quite fragrant.  It's also native to
the Mediterranean region, so it could easily have been known to Shakespeare.

Dick J.

--
Richard J. Jensen              | tel: 574-284-4674
Department of Biology      | fax: 574-284-4716
Saint Mary's College         | e-mail: rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Notre Dame, IN 46556    | http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rjensen