Botany in Romeo and Juliet

Chapman, Alex alexc at CALM.WA.GOV.AU
Mon Sep 12 22:28:53 CDT 2005

Martin,

I reckon a Shakespearian favourite - Conium maculatum - Hemlock, might fit the bill - quite small white flowers, and most parts including the anise-like seeds are poisonous, but the scent is not claimed to be fragrant as such.

The folks at Perdue have all the details: http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant28.htm.

Cheers,

Alex R. Chapman
Western Australian Herbarium

On 11 Sep 2005, at 19:30, Martin Dubé wrote:

> Here is a question for those fellow botanists versed in Shakespeare's
> writings (what I am not, obviously). This was first sent to me by a
> certain Mr. Simons living in Ontario, Canada.

> 'In December I will be playing the role of Friar Laurence in a local
> amateur production of Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet".  This
> character is
> a Franciscan friar and botanist who attempts to use both his spiritual
> wisdom and his scientific knowledge to help Romeo and Juliet (to no
> avail,
> as everyone knows.)
>
> In his very first speech in the play (Act II Scene 3), the friar is
> giving
> a lecture on botany, which also extends into philsophy and
> psychology.  He
> introduces his student to the concepts he is teaching by showing him a
> plant, which he describes as follows:
>
> "Within the infant rind of this small flower
> Poison hath residence, and medicine power
> For this, being smelled, with that part cheers each part
> Being tasted, stops all senses with the heart."
>
> Just on the chance that there might be a real botanist in the
> audience, I
> would like to identify and use on stage a plant which matches this
> description.  That would mean some part of it would be fatally (or at
> least seriously) poisonous and it would have a small flower whose
> scent an
> aromatherapist would consider restorative.'
>
> Thanks in advance.  Yours answers will be forwarded to that amateur
> actor.
>
> Martin

This email, together with any attachments, is intended for the
addressee only. It may contain confidential or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please notify
the sender, delete the email and attachments from your system and
destroy any copies you may have taken of the email and its attachments.
Duplication or further distribution by hardcopy, by electronic means
or verbally is not permitted without permission.