Botany in Romeo and Juliet - a summary

Martin Dub é martin at UMCE.CA
Wed Sep 14 18:14:39 CDT 2005

Dear All,

Thank you very much for all your replies.

I got the following guesses about the id of that plant:

Nerium oleander
Convallaria majalis
Daphne mezereum
Conium maculatum
Solanum sp.
Digitalis purpurea
Atropa belladonna
Papaver somniferum

Then I got a reference about Shakespeare's plant:

World of Shakespeare's Plants by Alan Dent
Edition: Hardcover
Price: $4.95

and I found on internet an other book of the same kind:
http://www.botany.org/bsa/psb/1998/rev17-98.html

However, you will agree with me that the following answer from Harry
Jorgenden is certainly the most enlightning:
I (Freek Vrugtman) passed the question to Harry Jongerden, author of "This
Other Eden", a book about the Shakespeare garden at Stratford, Ontario,
and plant imagery in the Bard's plays. For many years Jongerden was in
charge of this garden. You will find his response below.

Freek Vrugtman
Carlisle, Ontario
freek.vrugtman at sympatico.ca