A forward about Nuphar

Richard.Zander at MOBOT.ORG Richard.Zander at MOBOT.ORG
Thu Sep 15 17:06:38 CDT 2005

Thank you for your excellent response. On the face of it, I must agree that
puteorum is a genitive plural as puteus is a noun, and I see no verb or
adjective that might otherwise suit the case - thank you for this
information as well.

Springs and wells seem a suitable habitat for a water lily as well!

Patricia

_
-----Original Message-----
From: Paul van Rijckevorsel [mailto:dipteryx at FREELER.NL]
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 4:14 PM
To: TAXACOM at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU
Subject: Re: [TAXACOM] A forward about Nuphar

> Would anyone care to inform me why and how Nuphar became a feminine noun?

***
A fair amount of detail is given in the proposal to conserve it as neuter
(Taxon 47: 167-169. 1998), which failed (Taxon 49: 267. 2000). The blame is
pinned on a publication in 1956 by Stearn.

An interesting detail is that several databases have changed Nuphar puteorum
to Nuphar puteora, although on the face of it puteorum appears a genitive
plural of puteus ("well", "cistern").
PvR