Usurped names

Curtis Clark jcclark-lists at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Sep 25 15:30:05 CDT 2005

On 2005-09-25 14:15, SEAN EDWARDS wrote:
> This excludes the huge group of folk taxonomy names such as grass,
> moss, celandine and so on, that are phylogenetically incorrect

Although I find these cases etymologically interesting, I hardly think
there is a case to be made for vernacular names having "phylogenetic
correctness". It's hard enough to do that with Linnaean names (witness
Phylocode), and it seems pretty pointless with vernacular names.

(One of my favorites is:

newt::salamander::gopher::tortoise::turtle::dove

where each name can be ambiguous with the ones on either side.)

--
Curtis Clark http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/
Web Coordinator, Cal Poly Pomona +1 909 979 6371