Genera with many species

peter.stevens at MOBOT.ORG peter.stevens at MOBOT.ORG
Mon Sep 26 07:03:56 CDT 2005

"Short of the death penalty, there will always be lumpers and
splitters" (Davis and Heywood, p. 85).

These things tend to go in cycles, I suppose, but so long as one
remembers that such matters have little, if anything to do with
science.  Unecessary (definition not offered here) lumping/splitting
simply confuses, as Thomas P.'s example suggests (but of course the
name "yellow fever mosquito" has not changed....)

P.

>  > ... most large genera are subject to taxonomist-erosion;
>>  marginal subgroups are gnawed off and given separate names all the time
>
>So, maybe the real interesting question is not exactly how many species,
BUT: