Computer program for plotting distributional data.

James Macklin macklin at ACNATSCI.ORG
Mon Sep 26 13:50:36 CDT 2005

Hi Marc,

One of my favorites is Online Map Creation (OMC). A german site. Learning curve is minimal and procedures are well explained. You can choose the output file type depending on your purpose. The Adobe Illustrator file created is vector-based and can be edited to suit.

http://www.aquarius.geomar.de/omc/omc_intro.html

Hope this is useful.

James

James Macklin Ph. D.
Collection Manager
The Academy of Natural Sciences
Center for Systematic Biology and Evolution
Botany Department
1900 Ben Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA  19103-1195
Phone: (215) 405-5088

http://www.acnatsci.org/research/biodiv/botany.html

>>> Marc Branham <MABranham at IFAS.UFL.EDU> 9/26/2005 1:27:48 PM >>>
Hello All,

I am looking for a computer program that will plot points (collecting
localities) on maps of  various regions of the world by entering lat. and
long. coordinates. I know of several programs that will work for areas
within the United States, but I need one that also covers regions outside
of the U.S.. Ideally, I would like the output to be points plotted on a
black and white line drawing of map showing political boundaries.

I know that ArcView can do this, but that it is very expensive and has a
steep learning curve. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Best wishes,

Marc

Marc Branham, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor