Computer program for plotting distributional data.

christian thompson cthompson at SEL.BARC.USDA.GOV
Mon Sep 26 14:09:26 CDT 2005

Try Versamap. Go to
http://www.versamap.com/

It is shareware with a recommend cost of $40 US. $20 for the program,
$20 for the map files.

It exports to various Windows formats, etc.

Cheers

F. Christian Thompson
Systematic Entomology Lab., USDA
c/o Smithsonian Institution
MRC-0169 NHB
PO Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
(202) 382-1800 voice
(202) 786-9422 FAX
cthompso at sel.barc.usda.gov e-mail
www.diptera.org  web site

>>> Marc Branham <MABranham at IFAS.UFL.EDU> 09/26/05 01:27PM >>>
Hello All,

I am looking for a computer program that will plot points (collecting
localities) on maps of  various regions of the world by entering lat.
and
long. coordinates. I know of several programs that will work for areas
within the United States, but I need one that also covers regions
outside
of the U.S.. Ideally, I would like the output to be points plotted on
black and white line drawing of map showing political boundaries.

I know that ArcView can do this, but that it is very expensive and has
steep learning curve. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Best wishes,

Marc

Marc Branham, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor