Should we ditch infrageneric ranks?

Tony Orchard Tony.Orchard at DEH.GOV.AU
Wed Sep 28 10:43:19 CDT 2005

I guess it all depends on the kind of paper you are writing.  Both of
Kevin's options 1 & 2 are equally valid.

Depends whether he thinks he is writing a serious taxonomic paper, in
which case he will adopt formal nomenclature, or whether he is writing
an informal phylogenetic speculation paper, in which case he doesn't
have to.

Actually, my vote goes to Mike Dallwitz's option 3. Leave it alone.
Paraphyly is not a good reason to destroy a well-defined, well
recognised genus, and Murray will find it very uncomfortable to move
after all these years :)

Tony Orchard