Should we ditch infageneric ranks

Adolf Ceska aceska at VICTORIA.TC.CA
Wed Sep 28 07:32:04 CDT 2005

I would certainly ditch all the INFAGENERIC ranks, however, keep the
INFRAGENERIC ranks intact. One can find them useful when dealing with
larger genera.

I met with a few botanists from the neighbouring Washington State and they
were all delighted when they saw one sedge: "It belongs to Group 6 in the
[whatever] key." I would have had understood them better if they said "It
belongs to the section Digitatae." Who cares if all the species of the
section Digitatae should belong there, but I would have had better idea
what people were talking about, than when they said "Group 6".

Adolf Ceska, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
P.S. The so-called "Group 7" was the pinnacle of Canadian painting. - AC