Computer program for plotting distributional data.

Alec McClay alec.mcclay at SHAW.CA
Wed Sep 28 09:51:41 CDT 2005

Another possible approach if the cost is an issue - Manifold
(www.manifold.net) is promoted as a full-featured GIS competitive with
ArcView or Mapinfo, selling for $245 rather than thousands of dollars. I'm
sure it would plot the kind of map that you want, and do much more. I have
a copy on order but have no actual experience with it yet.

>Date:    Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:27:48 -0400
>From:    Marc Branham <MABranham at IFAS.UFL.EDU>
>Subject: Computer program for plotting distributional data.
>
>Hello All,
>
>I am looking for a computer program that will plot points (collecting
>localities) on maps of  various regions of the world by entering lat. and
>long. coordinates. I know of several programs that will work for areas
>within the United States, but I need one that also covers regions outside
>of the U.S.. Ideally, I would like the output to be points plotted on a
>black and white line drawing of map showing political boundaries.
>
>I know that ArcView can do this, but that it is very expensive and has a
>steep learning curve. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Alec McClay, Ph.D.

McClay Ecoscience
15 Greenbriar Crescent
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Canada T8H 1H8
Phone  (780) 464-4962
Mobile (780) 953-4077
Fax       (780) 410-0496

www.mcclay-ecoscience.com
Biological control, invasive species, insect-plant ecology