global warming and extinction, is there a model?

Ken Kinman kinman2 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 28 21:29:21 CDT 2005

Curtis,
     I think it depends on whether you are talking about mass extinction on land or mass extinction in the oceans.  I think global warming will be more of a factor (far more than a blip) when it comes to ocean life (at least in general).

     As for human scientists fifty-odd million years from now (assuming that there will be any humans around then), I find it hard to believe that their speculations would be that uninformed.   It's hard to imagine what our intellectual capabilities and databases will be like 500 years from now, much less 50 million.  And I would also add that they will probably laugh at the notion that paraphyly was ever thought unnatural and should be "eliminated" from nomenclature.  Why was such a notion so pervasive in the scientific literature from 1970-2000?  Historians of science should have fun with that one in hindsight (unlike those of us who had to live through it).
  ----Ken Kinman

Curtis wrote:

It's hard to imagine that global warming will add more than a blip to the current mass extinction (although I can imagine scientists fifty-odd million years from now speculating that, since it was more or less coincident with a global temperature increase, that must have been the reason for the mass extinction).