global warming and extinction, is there a model?

Curtis Clark jcclark-lists at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Sep 28 21:58:36 CDT 2005

On 2005-09-28 19:29, Ken Kinman wrote:
> Curtis, I think it depends on whether you are talking about mass
> extinction on land or mass extinction in the oceans.  I think global
> warming will be more of a factor (far more than a blip) when it comes
> to ocean life (at least in general).

I don't disagree about the relative magnitudes, but there's a lot more
going on in the oceans than warming. And I seem to remember that ocean
temperatures have changed in the past, at times not associated with mass
extinctions.

> As for human scientists fifty-odd million years from now

I never said they were humans.

> And I would also add that
> they will probably laugh at the notion that paraphyly was ever
> thought unnatural and should be "eliminated" from nomenclature.

The one thing I can be sure of is that in 50 million years you'll still
be going on about paraphyly. :-)

Web Coordinator, Cal Poly Pomona                 +1 909 979 6371
Professor, Biological Sciences                   +1 909 869 4062