Banksia sensu lato

Ken Kinman kinman2 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 29 09:32:47 CDT 2005

Dear All,
      After reading the statements by some botanists to leave Banksia and Dryandra as they are, I looked at it more closely.  Given that Dryandra is a fairly large genus, clearly distinctive, holophyletic, and with a long nomenclatural history, I have to agree with Tony Orchard and others that the ONLY reason it is being sunk into Banksia is to avoid paraphyly of the latter.  This would almost certainly do more HARM than good.  That said, I would still encourage Kevin to eliminate any paraphyly among the infrageneric groupings within Banksia sensu stricto.
  ---Cheers,
         Ken Kinman