Cop decision regarding open access for biodiversity data

Fabian Haas haas.smns at NATURKUNDEMUSEUM-BW.DE
Tue Apr 4 14:09:42 CDT 2006

Dear All,

good idea to ditribute this information on taxacom. Christoph Haeuser
and I were also there, dealing mostly with Taxonomy, the Global Taxonomy
Initiative GTI

That is the meeting website:
http://www.biodiv.org/meetings/cop8mop3/default.shtml

An here you find some COP reports
http://www.iisd.ca/biodiv/cop8/
bei ENB which covers these conferences constantly and with great competence.

The Brazilians were extremely active and introduced the "Biodiversity
Reserach Program" PPBio of the Ministry of Science and Technology, with
strong emphasis on collections, inventories and education.

see here
http://ppbio.inpa.gov.br/

Best
Fabian Haas

Donat Agosti schrieb:
> Dear colleagues
>
> COP-8, the follow-up party of the Convention on Biological Diversity,
> ended on March 31 with a decision of importance for our work. Here the
> excerpt:
>
> SCIENTIFIC AND TECHNICAL COOPERATION AND THE CHM: Discussions on
> scientific and technical cooperation and the CHM
> (UNEP/CBD/COP/8/4/Rev.1, 17, 17/Add.1, and 18) took place in WG-II on
> Thursday, 23 March, and Tuesday, 28 March. A decision was approved by
> WG-II on 28 March.
>
> On scientific and technical cooperation, delegates highlighted
> collaboration with other initiatives, with Colombia stressing
> repatriation of information. Canada urged parties to provide free and
> open access to information and, supported by the EU, suggested reference
> to the Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Brazil expressed
> concern about the cost implications of CHM activities, and delegates
> agreed to take notes of Brazil's reservation in the decision.
>
> Final Decision: In the decision (UNEP/CBD/COP/8/L.5), the COP adopts the
> annexed CHM updated strategic plan for the period 2005-2010 and the CHM
> work programme up to 2010.
>
> THE COP INVITES PARTIES AND OTHER GOVERNMENTS, AS APPROPRIATE, TO
> PROVIDE FREE AND OPEN ACCESS TO ALL PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE
> PUBLIC-GOOD RESEARCH RESULTS, ASSESSMENTS, MAPS AND DATABASES ON
> BIODIVERSITY, IN ACCORDANCE WITH NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL LEGISLATION
> It also requests parties, and invites other governments and donors, to
> continue providing financial and technical support to develop national
> and regional CHMs.
>
> The COP requests the Executive Secretary to prepare a report on progress
> made in the implementation of the strategic plan of the CHM and its work
> programme for 2005-2010, for COP-10 consideration.
>

> Dr. Donat Agosti
> Research Associate, American Museum of Natural History and Smithsonian
> Institution
>
> Email: agosti at amnh.org
> Web: http://antbase.org
> Skype: agostileu
> CV: http://antbase.org/agosticv_2003.html
>
> Dalmaziquai 45
> 3005 Bern
> Switzerland
> +41-31-351 7152

Dr. Fabian Haas, FRES
Staatliches Museum für Naturkunde Stuttgart
Rosenstein 1
D-70191 Stuttgart
Deutschland / Germany / Allemagne

Nationale Kontaktstelle der Globalen Taxonomie Initiative (GTI)
German National Focal Point of the Global Taxonomy Initiative (GTI)
email: haas.smns at naturkundemuseum-bw.de

Phone: 0711 8936 172
Fax: 0711 8936 100

The Site on Earwig Biology

My Photo Site

GfBS - Gesellschaft für Biologische Systematik
AG Marketing für Taxonomie

Staatliches Museum fuer Naturkunde Stuttgart