Cop decision regarding open access for biodiversity data

Fabian Haas haas.smns at NATURKUNDEMUSEUM-BW.DE
Tue Apr 4 14:11:39 CDT 2006

an addition by myself
Fabian haas

*International congress calls for comprehensive agenda for taxonomic
research*

* *

The international scientific congress “Biodiversity – Megascience in
Foscus” held at the margins of the 8^th Conference of the Parties of the
Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) in Curitiba, Parana, attracted
over 200 scientists from all over the world.

This international scientific congress was held on the initiative of the
Brazilian Academy of Sciences, The Society for the Progress of Science,
Memoria Naturalis (a network of Brazilian natural history collections)
and the International Union for the Biological Sciences (IUBS). It was
supported by IUBS and the Brazilian government which was present with
several representatives during the workshops.

The congress had three workshops to structure the vast field of
biodiversity and taxonomy. The first workshop discussed ‘Biodiversity
and Systematics’, the second one ‘Benefit Sharing and Bioethics’, and
the final workshop discussed aspects of ‘Sustainability’.

The workshop participants adopted a declaration which was officially
submitted to the 8^th Conference of the Parties and is now a part of the
CBD documents and was made available through CBD’s website as an
‘Information Document’ (UNEP/CBD/COP/8/INF/46, links see below).

The declaration unambiguously calls for a comprehensive increase in
taxonomic research, education and infrastructure to prevent the further
decline of taxonomy and to overcome the taxonomic impediment. Further
targets are the doubling of the rate of species descriptions as well as
the extension of natural history collections until 2015 and the
education and employment of no less than 10.000 professional taxonomists
world wide until 2020. The declaration further calls for a simplified
regime of Access and Benefit sharing in order not to obstruct the
essential research needed to deliver the important information for
environmental decision making, e.g. when establishing a protected area.

Link to the 8^th Conference of the Parties (COP8) to the Convention on
Biological Diversity (CBD)

Conference homepage

http://www.biodiv.org/meetings/cop8mop3/default.shtml

Documents

http://www.biodiv.org/doc/meeting.aspx?mtg=COP-08&tab=1

Donat Agosti schrieb:
> Dear colleagues
>
> COP-8, the follow-up party of the Convention on Biological Diversity,
> ended on March 31 with a decision of importance for our work. Here the
> excerpt:
>
> SCIENTIFIC AND TECHNICAL COOPERATION AND THE CHM: Discussions on
> scientific and technical cooperation and the CHM
> (UNEP/CBD/COP/8/4/Rev.1, 17, 17/Add.1, and 18) took place in WG-II on
> Thursday, 23 March, and Tuesday, 28 March. A decision was approved by
> WG-II on 28 March.
>
> On scientific and technical cooperation, delegates highlighted
> collaboration with other initiatives, with Colombia stressing
> repatriation of information. Canada urged parties to provide free and
> open access to information and, supported by the EU, suggested reference
> to the Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Brazil expressed
> concern about the cost implications of CHM activities, and delegates
> agreed to take notes of Brazil's reservation in the decision.
>
> Final Decision: In the decision (UNEP/CBD/COP/8/L.5), the COP adopts the
> annexed CHM updated strategic plan for the period 2005-2010 and the CHM
> work programme up to 2010.
>
> THE COP INVITES PARTIES AND OTHER GOVERNMENTS, AS APPROPRIATE, TO
> PROVIDE FREE AND OPEN ACCESS TO ALL PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE
> PUBLIC-GOOD RESEARCH RESULTS, ASSESSMENTS, MAPS AND DATABASES ON
> BIODIVERSITY, IN ACCORDANCE WITH NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL LEGISLATION
> It also requests parties, and invites other governments and donors, to
> continue providing financial and technical support to develop national
> and regional CHMs.
>
> The COP requests the Executive Secretary to prepare a report on progress
> made in the implementation of the strategic plan of the CHM and its work
> programme for 2005-2010, for COP-10 consideration.
>

> Dr. Donat Agosti
> Research Associate, American Museum of Natural History and Smithsonian
> Institution
>
> Email: agosti at amnh.org
> Web: http://antbase.org
> Skype: agostileu
> CV: http://antbase.org/agosticv_2003.html
>
> Dalmaziquai 45
> 3005 Bern
> Switzerland
> +41-31-351 7152

Dr. Fabian Haas, FRES
Staatliches Museum für Naturkunde Stuttgart
Rosenstein 1
D-70191 Stuttgart
Deutschland / Germany / Allemagne

Nationale Kontaktstelle der Globalen Taxonomie Initiative (GTI)
German National Focal Point of the Global Taxonomy Initiative (GTI)
email: haas.smns at naturkundemuseum-bw.de

Phone: 0711 8936 172
Fax: 0711 8936 100

The Site on Earwig Biology

My Photo Site

GfBS - Gesellschaft für Biologische Systematik
AG Marketing für Taxonomie

Staatliches Museum fuer Naturkunde Stuttgart