AW: Cop decision regarding open access for biodiversity data

Donat Agosti agosti at AMNH.ORG
Tue Apr 4 15:59:01 CDT 2006

Here the final language of the decision regarding GTI at the meeting.

"para 5: Emphasizes the need to build and retain capacity to address the
taxonomic impediment, and in this context, explore options to ensure the
long-term sustainability of the necessary financial support, and invites
BioNET International and other relevant organizations, in consultation
with the Coordination Mechanism for the Global Taxonomy Initiative, to
establish a special fund for the Global Taxonomy Initiative, (and to
report on progress to COP-9).  "

The entire official document will be available in few weeks.

What I do not understand in this context is BioNet Internation role, and
the absence of any of our systematics organisations in administering
this fund. The 'other relevant organizations' made it into para 5 at an
unexpected last minute intervention of Malawi.

Donat

Dr. Donat Agosti
Research Associate, American Museum of Natural History and Smithsonian
Institution

Email: agosti at amnh.org
Web: http://antbase.org
Skype: agostileu