a pre-emptive plea (Re: Corals devastated in Caribbean)

Rowan Sage rsage at BOTANY.UTORONTO.CA
Tue Apr 4 15:31:38 CDT 2006

Dear All,

I plead guilty to being caught by the troller.

I agree with Doug's points that Taxacom should probably be reserved for
taxonomic discussions, and express my apologies for being a little
overexuberant.

 However, as the die off in the Caribbean demonstrates, in the coming
years, there may not be wealth of species for the taxonomists to study.
As central players in the field of conservation biology, taxonomists
have to be engaged in the public debate or else we will have to cede the
argument to the like of George F Will who has other opinions about
climate change.  I might propose that the role of taxonomists in the
conservation of species and how to take this to the public should be an
acceptable agenda item for Taxacom.

Rowan Sage